SSA is being implemented in partnership with State Governments to cover the entire country and address the needs of children in the age group of 6 to 14.
The programme seeks to open new schools in those habitations which do not have schooling facilities and strengthen existing school infrastructure through provision of additional class rooms, toilets, drinking water, maintenance grant and school improvement grants.
Existing schools with inadequate teacher strength are provided with additional teachers, while the capacity of existing teachers is being strengthened by extensive training, grants for developing teaching-learning materials and strengthening of the academic support structure at a cluster, block and district level.
SSA seeks to provide quality elementary education including life skills. SSA has a special focus on girl's education and children with special needs.
• Enrolment of all children in school, alternate schools, back to school camp.
• Retention of all children till the upper primary stage.
• Bridging of gender and social category gaps in enrolment, retention and learning.
• Ensuring that there is significant enhancement in the learning achievement levels of children at the primary and upper primary stage.
• Focus on elementary education of satisfactory quality with emphasis on education for life.
• Bridge all gender and social category gaps at primary stage and at elementary education level.